Wednesday 25 February 2009

SECOND AGE LEGENDARY BOWS


The bow on the right, Reason, is the l.58 Second Age legendary I've been using in Moria for the last couple of months, and it's a pretty good bow. However, I've been on the lookout for a l.60 Second Age, more out of a feeling that I really needed to get the best possible (leaving aside First Age items for the moment, please), rather than because I was unhappy with Reason. A few days ago, chancing to log on early one morning when almost nobody else was around, I was very lucky to find a l.60 bow on the Laurelin Auction House with a sellout price of 30G. It was unidentified, and therefore a gamble, but it paid off - the legacies it came with were more than decent, if not perfect.

So Darkfall has now become my main ranged weapon, rushed up to l.30 in a matter of minutes thanks to a stash of item experience point runes. However, what has really floored me is the difference two levels make to the DPS (Damage Per Second) rating: maxed out in both cases, Reason has a DPS rating of 53.6, whereas Darkfall, raised to the same tier, achieves an astonishing 59.1! Oh, and the speed is significantly better, too (2.2 versus 2.5),

Moral: Use the highest level legendary weapon you can lay your hands on to be getting on with, but as soon as a l.60 comes your way, grab it at almost any cost. What will happen to faithful old Reason, you ask? I though of breaking it up when it reaches l.40 in order to reclaim some of the experience, but on second thought, I may after all use a Beleriand title scroll on it, and keep it around as an alternative or backup weapon...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A very nice bow indeed! Congratulations!

I read your post with interest since recently I have been scanning the auction house for a nice level 60 2nd Age weapon (I'm a guardian) and to be honest I've been in despair at the poor selection of items and the price tags attached!

Thanks to this post at least I know roughly the DPS to expect. I'm pretty tired seeing tanking style legacies on two-handers and overpower legacies on one-handers. Guess I just keep looking or get that very lucky drop!

Keep up the blogging please, we need more like this!

Regards

Altan, 60 Guardian, Snowbourn