Tuesday 3 March 2009

REVISE THOSE ESTIMATES!

Anybody rash enough to venture comment on matters financial should be prepared to eat their words, which is what I must do today. In my previous post, I said, referring to a l.60 Second Age Hunter's Bow on offer at the Laurelin AH that "just under 75G is way over the top for an unidentified item", gratuitously adding that 100G would most likely "represent both an actual and a psychological price ceiling" for some time to come.

Well, pride goeth before a fall. My conclusions held true for about 24 hours at best. Last night, with under two hours to go, that self-same bow reached a price of 140G, 175S, 98C - and for all I know, some lunatic may well have slipped in yet another bid at the last minute. This, remember, is for an unidentified item, which may well turn out to be an absolute lemon in terms of legacies.

It is small comfort to realise that I am not entirely alone in my mortification, since 99.9% percent of economic commentators in the real world have also had to eat their words in recent months...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So someone has been patronizing gold sellers, no doubt about it. You dont lash out that kind of money on unidentified gear if you have earned it honestly over a period.

Anonymous said...

140 gold!? Ouch.

Anonymous said...

I'm happy I don't play on the Laurelin server then. ;) The bad part is that, as news of this spreads, it can only spur the devs on to create even more ways to remove more gold from the economy.

Kairos said...

To be honest, I'm fairly certain this was an exceptional case, very likely (as nemo writes) associated with gold trading. I haven't seen anything remotely like this in the last two weeks.